Friday, December 3, 2010

Football


This year Caleb wanted to play tackle football.  Having watched 3 of my brothers play football from grade school through high school and even a jr. college, I was worried about Caleb.  Visions of 2-a-day practices, having to play in searing heat and freezing cold, and injuries flooded my mind.  I admit that the first week of practice almost killed Caleb.  They were doing a lot of conditioning and running.  Caleb was gasping for air.  Turns out he has exercise-induced asthma and allergies to grass.  We loaded him up with meds and an inhaler and he was like a whole new kid.  Caleb played the position of Right Guard on the offensive line.  It's probably the safest position to play on the football team.  He was rarely tackled so the chances of injury were next to nothing, which, as a Mom, I was glad of.
The season was amazing.  Trevor was an assistant coach and the team went to the playoffs.  I was proud of Caleb for never giving up.  Tonight was the end-of-year party for his team.  Caleb and a few others were given an award for never missing one of their 9 games or 43 practices.  I must admit I love seeing my son wear a jersey with Smith on the back.  I hope he'll always wear it with pride.

1 comment:

**MIGNONNE** said...

He looks so good out there. I am proud of him for sticking with it. That is a lot of practices! I hope some day Andrew gives it a try...