Monday, December 6, 2010

The Ups and Downs of Running

Last night I was talking with my mom about buying my dad some running equipment for Christmas.  She was complaining about how expensive a sport it is.  I told her that once the initial items are bought then it's a pretty cheap sport but has lots of great benefits.  So this morning while I was out running I was thinking about our conversation.  I was thinking about how much our taking up running has improved our lives and health.  I was close to the end of the run and was having a great time thinking about how great I've felt over the last 3 1/2 years.  The song "Kryptonite" was playing on my ipod and I truly felt like Superman...until I tripped.
   The tip of my toe caught on a raised piece of pavement and next thing I know I'm flying just like Superman.  I landed in the push-up position before I slid on my belly like a seal for several feet.  Do you know how much force that puts on your arms, shoulders and back to fly down into that position?!  Fortunately I was wearing gloves otherwise my hands would be hamburger.  As it is the scrapes I do have didn't even break the skin and I didn't tear any holes in my clothes either.  A couple Tylenol have taken the achiness away so I'm good.

1 comment:

**MIGNONNE** said...

I know exactly how much for that put on your arms because I just did a belly flop in the snow a little over a week ago. I was trying to walk up a snowy hill in boots (once again I was after the perfect family photo) and my feet came right out from under me.
I slipped HARD. My triceps felt like I had worked out for days but really all I did was fall on my face. I'm glad you are okay!